Monday, November 29, 2010

Pardon the Interruption; or, Coming Up Threes

I haven’t been able to blog the past few days because I’ve been spending time with My Sainted Irish Mother, who, as fate would have it, is nearing the end of days. It’s a terribly sad time and I’ll write more about it at length in the fairly near future; but for now, apologies for the likely intermittent blogging over the next week to ten days.

In the meantime, a video tribute to Herself – the Pogues, “If I Should Fall From Grace With God,” from the album of the same name. I love this song, but I can tell you without reservation that My Sainted Irish Mother hasn’t and will never fall from grace with God. As an aside, I should also point out that the Moms is anything but an Irish nationalist; she’s more inclined, in fact, to concur with Oscar Wilde’s quip: “If one could only teach the English how to talk, and the Irish how to listen, society [there] would be quite civilized.” Nonetheless, these lyrics are apt to get one’s Irish adrenalin pumping, if one is Irish and has adrenalin:

This land was always ours

Was the proud land of our fathers

It belongs to us and them

Not to any of the others …

Aye.

In any event, I’ll be back as I can; and when I have the time I’ll regale you with some stories of Herself’s rather remarkable existence. Until then, there’s extra credit for anyone who can tell me, without resorting to the Google, what the Anglicized phrase “pogue mahone” (póg mo thóin in Irish) means.

© 2010 David P. von Ebers. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    I am so sorry to hear about your mother, our beloved Aunt Mickey! As much as I dislike finding out news from social networking, I appreciate the easy ability to stay in touch. I hope your family finds peace in the next several days - you are all in my prayers.
    Love,
    Kelly

    PS - it's "kiss my arse", which I knew without google thanks to my brother's best friend having it (maturely) tattooed on his shoulder) :)

    ReplyDelete