Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter

“Jesus Was an Only Son,” performed live in New Jersey in 2005, originally from Devils & Dust released the same year.

I’ve said before that I’m not much of a believer anymore, but it’s been a long path getting here. I grew up with the religion of my parents – Catholicism – and I also grew up keenly aware that generations ago my father’s ancestors in Eastern Europe were Jewish. I don’t know if this makes much sense, but being of both Catholic and Jewish ancestry means a fair amount to me, even if the religions themselves don’t. So, I’m not one to proselytize my own lack of faith: To each his or her own, is pretty much the way I look at it.

Also, I think it’s not altogether appropriate to beat up on people of faith in the midst of Holy Week and Pesach. There’re other, more appropriate times to debate theology; for now, let’s let the religious enjoy the holidays in peace.

And anyway, leave it to Bruce Springsteen to find a common human thread in the Easter story:

A mother prays, “Sleep tight my child, sleep well

For I’ll be at your side

That no shadow, no darkness no tolling bell

Shall pierce your dreams tonight.” …

So if you celebrate Easter or Passover, have a beautiful, peaceful day Sunday. In fact, even if you don’t celebrate Easter or Passover, have a beautiful, peaceful day Sunday.

Oh yeah. And speaking of religion: Go Blackhawks!

© 2011 David P. von Ebers. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! God is all goodness! God is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog... visited here with a smile, take care always... feel free to visits me back at http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com (A Growing Teenager Diary)... thanks ~~~

    ReplyDelete