Monday, August 29, 2011

Revamping the Blog

Of course, given what “vamping” means, I think “revamping” ought to mean something altogether different. But I digress.

Anyway, the thing is, I’ve decided to jettison politics on the blog in favor of (mostly) straightforward legal analysis (with occasional forays into sports and music, because it’s my blog and I can do that if I want). But no more politics, left, right or center.

I’m doing this for at least a couple of reasons. First, being a lawyer, the law is something I actually know something about, and I’ve grown weary of people who are experts in one field (say, economics) believing themselves to be experts in everything even tangentially related to their field of expertise; and, specifically, believing themselves to be experts in politics and the political process itself … which most of them (us) most assuredly are not. So I think I’ll stick to writing about something I actually know. Which is the law.

Second, politics is toxic. It really doesn’t matter if you are liberal or conservative – or one of those mythical independents, who, I think, are really just conservatives for the most part – because no matter what your frame of reference, if you write about politics long enough you will be attacked, and not just by the other side. You will be attacked by people who agree with ninety percent of what you have to say, but who’ve decided, for reasons no one really understands, that the ten percent on which you disagree is far more important than the ninety percent on which you’re jake; so much so that the fact that you disagree on that particular ten percent makes you worse than the political opposition, ninety percent jake-ness not withstanding.

So I leave the politics to those who know what they’re talking about and to those who can deal with the circular firing squad that politics has become, left, right and center.

One last thing. I don’t plan to post nearly as frequently as I’ve done in the past. Maybe once or twice a week, maybe more often, depending on whether I can actually devote the time to it. Occasionally, I may post short pieces on sports or music or whatever else strikes me (but not politics). But by and large, my presence here will be less than it’s been over the past few months. I don’t doubt that that will cause many readers to lose interest, but so be it. Nobody’s getting rich doing this anyways.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, Dave. I'm sorry to hear it. I've enjoyed reading your political analysis, but I can empathize with the fatigue. Good luck with the legal blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave my friend, you revamp this blog anyway you like, be it law, music, botany, biology, or even bird watching. Write from your heart, write from your perception,write from your expertise, or a combination of them all. Whatever you enjoy writing about, I will enjoy reading about.

    "There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better for worse as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on the plot of ground which is given him to till. The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried." RWE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if this is the end of politics I'd like to say in the voice of Bill Clinton- "I feel your pain"
    Re-prioritize with life's new wisdoms.
    Kiss the kids.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you still be appearing on Tim Corrimal's show? I sure hope so. I'll still read the blog here, keep up the Clash videos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David von Ebers:

    "So I leave the politics to those who know what they’re talking about"

    A contradiction in terms if ever I heard one.

    Hey, howzabout MusicLaw? Nah, just kidding.

    Check out this blog: http://mikeb302000.blogspot.com/

    There's an attorney who posts there, signs as "Laci The Dog" (read his profile for the skinny). He spends a lot of time on 2nd Amendment stuff (he's not pro-gun) and I honestly don't know enough about con or common law to follow his arguments beyond a certain point. You might find it interesting. Me, I'll just keep pricking the balloons, or lampooning the pricks, whichever seems most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete