Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Music For Your Final Hours

Steve Earle with a live version of “Billy Austin” recorded in 1991:

Now my waiting’s over

As the final hour drags by

I ain’t about to tell you

That I don’t deserve to die

But there’s twenty-seven men here

Mostly black, brown and poor

Most of ’em are guilty

Who are you to say for sure?

So when the preacher comes to get me

And they shave off all my hair

Could you take that long walk with me

Knowing hell is waitin’ there

Could you pull that switch yourself sir

With a sure and steady hand

Could you still tell yourself

That you’re better than I am

Just seems appropriate tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I should point out that I’m not saying Troy Davis “deserves to die”; indeed, not only does he not deserve to die, there’s considerable doubt he’s even guilty in the first place. The point of this song, though, is even in the case of a guilty man whom you could say deserved death, who are we to do it.

    ReplyDelete