Friday, October 12, 2012

Your Friday Clash Song: “It’s Hateful … And It’s Paid For …”



“Hateful,” from London Calling (1979), dubbed, appropriately enough, “the best double-LP since Exile On Main Street.”
Often I try to pick a song that bears some relation to current events, or, at the least, to recent posts on this blog. Not today. I just love this song and I haven’t heard it in about a million years.
I suppose I could say that I picked this song because my eldest child has recently discovered ska/punk bands like The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones and Streetlight Manifesto … and “Hateful” is an early, gritty example of that sound; but the truth is, I thought of that connection only after I selected this song for today’s feature. Damn, what a great song – despite its depressing subject matter (drug abuse and dependency).
Anyway, if you really want something topical, how about a shout-out to Vice Pres. Joe Biden, who took it too Jersey Shore-wannabe Paul Ryan in last night’s debate. Apparently, conservatives, being the wilting flowers they’re known to be, thought Biden was, um, rude to poor Mr. Ryan. Which is one of the things they call a Democrat who stands up to them.
Hey, man. Rudie can’t fail.


So there you go. A London Calling two-for-one.
Turn. It. Up.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it's a vastly superior album to Exile on Main Street, both musically and socially. I know the Stones made good music, but rather than be labeled "the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world," they should be called "the greatest minstrel show in the world." The Clash, quite the contrary, are one of the rare examples of white musicians who routinely worked in Black musical form without exploitative appropriation.

    I'd say the best double album since Bitches Brew, or to keep it more rock-oriented either Electric Ladyland or the White Album, depending on my mood. And the best double album only for a couple years, because 1999 came out in 1982.

    Damn. Lots of good music. Love the blog, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete