Wednesday, February 13, 2013

RIP Rick Huxley




Rick Huxley, the bass player and co-founding member of the Sixties pop group the Dave Clark Five, has died, the BBC reports. He was 72.
Huxley, a heavy smoker, had battled emphysema for years, though bandleader Dave Clark said the bassist had recently been given a clean bill of health. Clark called Huxley’s death “devastating.” “We’d talk once a week,” Clark said. “I spoke to Rick on Friday, he was in great spirits.” 
When I was in college, my brother’s band did this British-invasion-y thing. In fact, the band’s former rhythm guitarist still does; he’s in a Branson, Missouri-based group called the Liverpool Legends, the members of which “were hand-picked by Louise Harrison – sister  of the late George Harrison of The Beatles.” No, I’m not making this up.
So, yeah, anyway, “Glad All Over” is one of the songs my brother’s band used to play, way back when … frequently at Mabel’s nightclub in Champaign. That was the only time in my life I was (or ever will be) on anybody’s guest list.
Good times, as the kids say. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment