Friday, February 15, 2013

Your Friday Clash Song: Standing In A Queue In A School Canteen …




“1-2 Crush On You,” released in November 1978 as the B-side of the “Tommy Gun” single.
Bear with me, people. I’m being topical here.
Yesterday was Valentine’s Day, and, as I mentioned, the Illinois Senate passed a bill allowing same sex marriage. It still has to be approved by the Illinois House, but Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn has promised to sign it into law once that happens. So, we’re feelin’ the love here in the Land of Lincoln.
Now, the Clash didn’t do many love songs, so the pickings were slim. But this is a catchy tune and a bit of a rarity at that … so, it seems like a perfect fit. According to the Clash Wiki, the song actually predates the band:
§       an early post-London SS/pre-Clash song written in April/May 1976
§       Mick Jones: “It was written just before Joe arrived.” [1]
§       Chris Salewicz [author of Redemption Song – The Ballad of Joe Strummer]: “Joe told me that the first song he remembered attempting to play with these new musical allies was ‘1-2 Crush On You’.” [2]
§       according to Pablo Labritain played during the very first Clash rehearsals in June 1976 [3]
And because you can always count on me, here’s a live version from 1976:


Jesus Christ. I graduated from 8th grade in 1976. What the hell was I listening to?
But I digress.
There it is, people. Your Friday Clash Song: A belated Valentine’s Day gift in honor of marriage equality in Illinois.
Turn. It. Up.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic web site. Lots of helpful info here.
    I am sending it to a few friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.

    And certainly, thanks in your effort!

    Also visit my site :: youtube downloader online

    ReplyDelete